Monday 22 November 2010

“Wow, only a Month Left!”

November 16, 2009 to November 22, 2009

Yeah, only one month left so it is time to get down to business and make sure that I’ve seen and done everything that I wanted to do. On Monday night I came home and made a list of everything that I had to do before leaving. The list was long but I knew that with organization and planning I could do it!

On Tuesday I had a realization in Song Presentation class. I figured out the reason why I love Mountview so much: the other students you are studying with want you to succeed as much as you want yourself to succeed. This week in song presentation we had to bring in songs that where challenging for us through either the notes or the style and so people brought in songs like “Once Upon a Time”, “Pity the Child”, and “Defying Gravity”. When someone was up there working on the song with our teacher, everyone else was on the edge of their seat, so excited with the progress and the risk that everyone was taking. I love that they aren’t sitting there hoping that someone will crack or forget their words or just give up. Even if someone does crack or forget a word or two they just continue to encourage and push each other up. Everyone does the work outside of class and so in class we are able to take things to the next level! That is why I love this school so much. Also on Tuesday we had our “Acting Performance Night”. It was a night were everyone had a scene or two from Heda Gabbler that they had to rehearse on their own and then perform for all the staff and the rest of the year. It was a wonderful night to see everyone else’s work and progress on the scenes as well as getting and giving feedback to one another.

On Wednesday I got my ticket to see the midnight showing of New Moon in Wood Geen. I was really excited about seeing the show especially since I would be able to see it six hours before it was even released in the states. I probably wouldn’t have seen it at midnight if I was in the states but I really wanted to Facebook a few people back home after I saw it just to make them a little jealous. J

Friday started every early…at midnight actually. Kelly R and I went to the theatre in Wood Green to see New Moon. I ended up like the movie a whole lot more than I thought I would. I mean, they changed a few things here and there but that always as to be done when making a book into a movie. Overall, I felt that they did a great job and the acting in this movie was much better than that of the first one. After we left the theatre it took us almost an hour to get home since it was 2:30 in the morning and we had to take several different night buses to get back to Muswell Hill. After I wonderful little three hour nap, I was back up to get ready for school. The second portion of my Friday ended up being a very long day after not sleeping so much the night before. Not saying it wasn’t worth it, just saying I was a little tired, that’s all. Despite the fact that I was tired, I had the best singing class that day. The head of music, Rob Archibald, filled in for our normal teacher who was sick that day. Instead of going over our Christmas carols like we were suppose to, we had a singing improv class. It was the best class that I’ve had at Mountview. By the end of the class, each of us had come up with several different scenes for a new musical, an opening song for that musical, as well as one of the main songs in that musical. It was so nice to kick back and enjoy making music with everyone else in the class. That night I went and saw The Laramine Project down at the Strand Theatre. I’d never seen the show before and thought that it would be interesting seeing it from the perspective of people from another country. When I got there, I realized that Rob (the head of singing) and Sam (head of dance at Mountview) where there. I didn’t realize until I got there that Rob helped direct and put music to the show. It was a special performance that was for charity and so afterwards there was a talk back with free wine. It was so interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts on the show. Three of the cast members where Americans so it was nice to talk to them about the show and to hear their responses to working on the show.

Saturday was a busy day of checking things off of my “London To-Do” list. I got up early that morning and headed into London city center to go to Westminster Abby. I spent several hours in the Abby that day going from chapel to chapel to see all that there was to see. At the Abby I saw King Edward's Chair (the throne on which British sovereigns are seated at the moment of coronation and has been used at every coronation since 1308), Poet’s Corner (where I saw the tombs and memorials of Geoffrey Chaucer, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, David Garrick, Sir Noel Coward, T. S. Eliot, and Oliver Goldsmith), the oldest door in London, the largest, oldest, and best preserved medieval floor from the 13th century, Henry VII's Lady Chapel, and the Nave (a tribute to those who have severed in the British Armed forces and where they have a their Tomb for the Unknown Soldier). After leaving the Abby I walked around the city center and made my way toward Trafalgar Square and then on toward Fleet Street and Drury Lane. I finally found myself in Covent Gardens and I decided to see Woman in Black, a show that has been showing in London since a month before I was born.

On Sunday I work on a couple of things for school and planned out my week so that I could make the most of my last week of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment