Monday 22 November 2010

“A Rough Week Back”

November 2, 2009 to November 8, 2009

This week was a hard week right from the start. From readjusting to getting up early to catching up with schoolwork, I just felt like I was running a race in which there was no finish line and that wasn’t even dealing with any of the emotional rollercoaster I was on. While I knew there where plenty of people that I could talk to and get help from in order to move forward, not only with Papa’s funeral but also with classwork, I just felt alone. I felt like I just was so far behind that there wasn’t a way out of this. But I took each everything one day at a time. I did only what need to be done that day and then moved forward. By the end of the week, I was caught up class work wise but emotionally I hadn’t exactly smoothed out yet. I took that weekend to write and catch up with my blogs. I was able to take that time to finally say what I wanted to say and to help me move forward. Once I finally had time to sit and actually reflect on what had a happened, I was able to cope with it just a bit better.

That week was also Novemeber 5th, Guy Fawkes Night (or "bonfire night"). Basically there was a plan called “The Gunpowder Plot” to burn down Parliament. It was led by Robert Catesby, but Guy Fawkes was put in charge of its execution. He was arrested a few hours before the planned explosion, during a search of the cellars underneath Parliament in the early hours of 5 November prompted by the receipt of an anonymous warning letter. The commemoration of the failed plot is held on 5 November in the United Kingdom, during which an effigy of Fawkes is burned, often accompanied by a fireworks display. “Remember remember the fifth of November/ Gunpowder, treason and plot./ I see no reason why gunpowder, treason/ Should ever be forgot...”

No comments:

Post a Comment