Tuesday 12 April 2011

Keeping It Classy...

March 12 to March 20, 2011

Spring Break was so much fun this year. For the past few years, spring break has been a quick trip home and then back to Tulsa for a little sleep. While similar this year, it wasn’t exactly the same. Less than 24 hours before I left for Memphis this time, I called Jeffrey and Sean, two fellow musical theatre majors with me at Tulsa, and we decided to have an impromptu road trip to Memphis. Jeffrey did this with me over the Christmas break of our freshman year and Sean and never been to Tennessee before so we were all in for a trip! With promises of parting on Beale and lunch at Texas de Brazil, they decided to join and we left Tulsa on Sunday.

About an hour into our trip we started seeing signs for “Free Wine Tastings” for several different wineries in Arkansas. I have seen these advertisements for years but have never stopped because I was by myself and always in a hurry to get either home or back to school. Lynden and I always joked about stopping one time but never got around to it. So this time the boys and I decided to stop and go for a little taste. We stopped at the Wiederkehr Wine Cellars and Vineyard for our first tasting. Coming into the town was a bit creepy since it was so small and we hadn’t seen anyone since leaving the interstate. Once inside, we were given a tour of the winery which was followed by the free tasting. While the boys are really wine people, I am! Red, white, sweet, bitter, desert: I love wine! Now when I say that, most of the wine I drink is cheap and on a college budget. I hope to do more winery visits to increase my knowledge and understand of what is actually a good wine and what isn’t and how to pair wines with certain foods. After we finished with the tasting, we decided to get back on the road again. Most drives back home suck! Arkansas is a terrible state to drive through but it was fun with the boys. Most of our time in Memphis was spent drinking…it was spring break people. This was really the first time that I have been 21 in Memphis and had friends who wanted to go out drinking. We hit up the Flying Saucer, the Memphis Ghost River Brewery, and of course partied on Beale several nights. Lynden and her boyfriend Josh joined up with us our first night on Beale. Lynden’s mom, Betty, kept Emery so that she could join us. I haven’t had that much fun at the bars in a while. It was so nice to be able to share the “Beale Experience” with the boys and of course with longtime Memphis friend Lynden! It was also nice to be able to get to know Josh a little better as well. We also ate incredibly well while we were in Memphis! Momma and Daddy cooked for us the first night, had Corky’s for lunch, Huey’s for dinner, Lynden’s step-mom (Donna) cooked her famous “Bacon Grease” meal, and we did Texas de Brazil right before we left. SO MUCH FOOD & ALCOHOL IN JUST 3 DAYS!!! …but remember…this is our last spring break so we had to make it amazing! On the way back to Tulsa we got off the interstate again at the winery exit and hit up 3 other wineries in the area for their free tastings. It was the perfect end to our trip!

I am so glad that the three of us were able to do this. With graduation quickly approaching, it was so nice to be able to share Memphis with the boys. We have spent so much time together over the past four years: good times and bad. We have seen each other make breakthroughs both professional and personal and have seen the true heart of who each other is. Most people don’t get to know friends this well. Most people have shallow relationships with meaningless ties and no trust. Not us. While of course they get on my nerves at time, as I do on theirs, I love them very much. I will truly miss them next year. Hopefully our paths with cross again after graduation.

Senior Bucket List:

  • One Impromptu Road Trip: Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment